Take a crust ynche depe in a trap. Take ᵹolkes of ayren rawe & chese ruayn & medle it & þe ᵹolkes togyder. Do þereto powdour ginger, sugur, safroun, and salt. Do it in a trap; bake it & serve it forth. (Forme of Cury)
Take a pie crust one in deep in a dish. Take raw egg yolks and soft cheese and mix it and the yolks together. Add to this powdered ginger, sugar, saffron and salt. Pour it into the pie dish, bake it and serve it forth.
- Pastry for 1 open tart or two dozen very small tarts
- 6 egg yolks or 3 whole eggs
- 5 oz soft cheese, preferably Brie, rind pared off
- 1/4 tsp each ground ginger, salt
- Optional: ¼ cup sugar (if to be served as dessert), scant pinch of saffron
Mix cheese, eggs and seasonings in a blender or food processor; if you must do it by hand, add beaten eggs to well-mashed cheese. Continue beating/blending until light and smooth. Bake in tart shell(s) in a 375F oven 15-20 minutes, only until lightly browned. Do not overfill the shells: about half-full is enough, as the mixture will puff during baking. This puffy effect may fall a bit when the tart is taken from the oven, but there should still be a slightly rounded look to the top.